What Got Me Started

A few years back, while between jobs, my buddy Richie invited me to join him at a Learning Annex event called the Real Estate Wealth Expo in downtown L.A. If you've been to one of these, then you'll know that most of the speakers are trying to sell you some sort of get-rich-quick program, many for thousands of dollars.

The real benefit for me were the keynote speakers. Suze Ormanwas brilliant, Donald Trumpwas quite entertaining, but Robert Kiyosakiwas the one who really caught my attention. I liked the way he talked about personal finance and decided to read his book Rich Dad, Poor Dad.I was already familiar with the book, having previously worked in a bookstore, but never knew how much it would change my thinking until I actually sat down and read it.

Prior to reading Rich Dad, Poor Dad,I was a chronic saver. My plan was to purchase a home as young as possible and live there forever. Then the L.A. housing market went insane and I was priced out of purchasing anything. In my area, starter condos were selling for $300k. Now, I'm 30 and still renting.

The moment I finished the book, I knew things would be different. My way of thinking was completely changed. I proceeded to read almost every book in the Rich Dad series, maybe 13 in all. I couldn't get enough. The greatest aspect of Kiyosaki's teachings is that he doesn't tell you what to do, but how to think. They say that law school doesn't teach you the law, but how to understand law. I feel Kiyosaki is much the same thing.

At this point, I still didn't know what I wanted to invest in.

Next post: How I Got Into Dividend Investing

No comments: